ITALIAN WINE SCHOLAR PREP
Date: 18 Feb 2023, 25 Feb 2023, 11 March 2023
Time: 12:30 – 16:30 (12:30pm to 4:30pm)
Exam date: 25 March 2023, 14:30 (2:30pm)
Location: 8 Raffles Ave, #02-27 Esplanade Mall, Singapore 039802 (The ExciseMan Wine & Whisky Bar)
Instructed by: Jessica Tan, CSW, IWS with Highest Honors
Tuition Fee: S$1,000.00 Nett (Not claimable via SkillsFuture)
Max Class Size: 20 (Minimum class size of 8)
Information and registration: Click here to register your interest or send a question.
Registration Closing Date: 21st January 2023
The Italian Wine Scholar Prep course (IWS Prep) is designed to address the needs of the inquisitive wine enthusiast and aspiring wine professional alike.
The coursebook and instructors alike will guide you on a wine-focused journey through Italy, learning about legendary wines, foods, landmarks and cultural attractions as you “travel.” The program has been divided into three sections, each featuring a geographical area of Italy: the wines of Northern Italy, the wines of Central Italy and the wines of Southern Italy. Within each section, a tantalizing palette of wines are showcased.
WHAT IS INCLUDED?
- Classroom instruction (a series of three 4-hour classes on Saturday)
- Extensive tasting of more than 20 wines
- A beautifully designed 125-page, coursebook rich with photographs & maps – The Wines of Italy: Glass by Glass.
- Access to high-quality e-learning activities designed to enrich the coursebook and support different learning styles; these activities include interactive e-learning modules with additional cultural highlights and quizzes.
- Registration for the IWS Prep Exam (50 Multiple-choice questions over 45 minutes, requires a score of 60% to pass)
WHO IS THE ITALIAN WINE SCHOLAR PREP PROGRAM FOR?
- Inquisitive wine enthusiasts wanting to become more familiar with the intricacies of Italian wine
- Aspiring wine professionals
- Hospitality professionals new to the world of Italian wine
- Anyone wishing to become more knowledgeable about Italy, and its wine and food culture
WHY CHOOSE IWS PREP?
This engaging and informative course will enable you to:
- Acquire fundamental Italian wine knowledge in just weeks
- Refine your tasting skills
- Master the essential grapes and appellations of Italy’s major wine regions
- Navigate the seemingly complicated Italian wine classification system
- Be perfectly poised to continue your studies with the prestigious Italian Wine Scholar (IWS) certification program
ARE THERE ANY PREREQUISITES?
All you need to enter the program is an interest in learning more about the the wines of Italy!
WHAT DOES THE PROGRAM COVER?
Italy is home to over 400 DOCs and DOCGs; IWS Prep introduces you to 39 of the most well-known appellations. Thirty-two primary appellations are covered in significant detail, with seven “Detour” appellations included to round out the curriculum. Grape varieties, wine profiles and labelling terms are all explored. Each wine is presented within a regional and cultural context. Local landmarks and traditional cuisines are also highlighted.
The exam is comprised of 50 multiple-choice questions and must be completed in 45 minutes, passing score is 60%. Passing students will be awarded the IWS Prep Certificate.